Uber Background Check
What the Uber background check looks at:
- Federal courthouse records going back 7 years
- County courthouse records for every county of your residence for the last 7 years
- Motor Vehicle Records
- Social Security Trace
- The multi-state criminal database going back 7 years
- National Sex Offender Registry
Uber background check and driving record check criteria
Your background must meet these conditions:
- A minimum of 1 year U.S. licensing history (if under 23 you must have at least 3 years licensing history)
- A clean Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) with no more than 3 incidents in the past 3 years
- No DUIs or no reckless driving
- California Uber drivers must not have a DUI in the last 10 years.
- A clean criminal background check with no felonies or misdemeanors involving violence, theft or drugs in a given time frame
- No speeding violations for driving 20 mph or greater over the speed limit in the past 3 years.
- Please note: Uber does not run a credit check
**Starting November 2016, Uber is now allowing some non-violent felons to become drivers.**
Your Uber Background Check Status: What it all means
Sometimes you’re not sure where exactly you stand with in the application process. This is very normal! Uber does not actually do the background check, they contract the background a separate company called Checkr. This is why sometimes it can be frustrating to get your results. Sometimes Uber is only legally allowed to provide you with your “profile status” as listed on your driver profile. Go over to partners.uber.com and select “My Profile” to see your status. Here’s what the differing statuses mean:
- Onboarding – this usually means Uber is reviewing your documents and background check. If you’re stuck in this status for more than 10 business days, contact Uber through help.uber.com or visit your nearest Greenlight Location.
- Waitlisted– this can mean a lot of different things. Maybe there are issues with your documents, or it could mean that they’re re-running your background check if you’re already an existing driver.
- Consider– this usually means that taking a closer look at your background because there are issues. If your status stays ‘consider’ for several days, you will likely be rejected.
- Active- this means you’re able to log into the driver app and start accepting rides.
**If more than 10 business days have passed since you began the background check, contact Uber and Checkr**
The background check typically takes around 3 – 10 business days to complete. If your account status doesn’t change to “Active” after then, contact Uber and Checkr.
- Contact Uber Support
- Visit an Uber Greenlight Location
- Contact Checkr at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 844-2-checkr
Uber re-runs your background check yearly, or if requirements change
Uber performs an annual background check to make sure you collected any driving violations or criminal violations in the past year. They could also re-run your background check if the background requirements in your area have changed. Sometimes they will ask you to re-consent to the background check by asking for your SSN.
Apply to find out!
Ultimately, the only way to know with certainty that you’ll pass or not is to apply to drive for Uber. Again, getting a background check is NOT like getting a credit check. There is no penalty for consenting.